Friday, September 11, 2009

Attack on "Styles"

Something I've noticed in the recent months: more and more people are starting to wear fedoras. For those of you who don't know, a Fedora is a type of hat which was popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. In pop culture most would associate the fedora with one Henry "Indiana" Jones Junior; or Indy as most of his compatriots call him; Other than old men and famous movie characters, most people in the late twentieth century did not wear fedoras. The reason for this has something to do with JFK not wearing a hat at his presidential inauguration. Since then fewer people had worn them, but they were still around. However, recently there has been a major style shift and the fedora has come back. I rejoiced at this since it is my favorite style hat and has been for over twenty years. This shift I'm referring to happened within the last five years, but hadn't really taking hold until just a few months ago.

Until about a year ago, I was the only person around with one. Slowly I saw more and more people wearing them. "Wow!" I thought, "I'm responsible for bringing the Fedora Back!"

My euphoria was shot down almost instantly when I turned on my TV and saw that just about every pop, hip hop stars, and even rock stars wearing them. Oh, well. At least the hat was back in style and not just for old people.

Before this shift, ignorant people would take a look at my hat and assume I was some kind of cowboy or something. Fedoras are NOT the same thing as a cowboy hat. (although in the old west some cowboys did wear them) Nowadays I see the very same people wearing them like there the new thing. I've got news for you. Fedoras have been around for over TWO HUNDRED YEARS. But they didn't get popular until the late nineteenth century.

"Wait," you might say, "Why is the random ninja attacking fedoras if he likes them."

Well I'm not attacking fedoras. I'm attacking the people who DON'T know how to wear fedoras.

Fedoras don't go with everything. (depending on the color and type) Yet people seem to think they do. Fedoras come in a variety of styles from the wide brimmed (cowboyhat looking) to the inch brimmed also called a Porkpie. No matter the size, fedoras go best with long sleeved button up shirts. They don't go with T-shirts (unless the colors match perfectly, but still best not to even try it) both slacks and jeans work( if they're styler jeans, Fedoras Do Not go with carpenter pants) Sneakers are a no-no(unless they are a solid color and match the hat); boots or other dress type shoes go best. If you wear a T-shirt, wear also a opened button-up shirt, or jacket of some type. Blazers go nicely, and so do sport coats( as well as some others, track suits are a no-no)

For reference as for what is best to wear see: Indiana Jones, Rorschach from Watchmen, Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.

I like that my favorite hat is back in style, I just wish that it had some style, ya know.

That's all for this attack, be on the lookout for the next one. >.<

No comments:

Post a Comment